Wednesday, January 11, 2012

When in Rome or... Costa Rica

Dia Uno

Checklist:
get off plane and land in foreign country... check
wander aimlessly through an airport... check
make it through customs... check
look for man holding sign... check
follow that man holding your name... check
get into sketchy car with man, name unknown... check
look at Erica and say "what the el"... check
arrive at Oky's... check
speak broken spanish/english... check
smile at Oky ALOT... check
unpack... check
eat first costa rican dinner... check
think how truly blessed I am... check

Dia Dos

Erica and I got to spend the day together. I woke up to two men in the kitchen complaining about how the broken refrigerator could not fit out the door. FYI the refrigerator, internet and lights don't work. Oky feels awful, I find it to be God's sense of humor. Oky is a member of the Country Club and insisted we enjoy ourselves at the pool while she cleaned the kitchen. She is such a hard worker. After that Erica and I were feeling adventurous and decided to walk back to my place. We got to speak our wonderful broken spanish while we ordered lunch. It consisted of a lot of pointing, nodding, smiling and sign language. She was patient to say the least. Our rest of our day consisted of a Walmart visit, money exchange and getting lost on our way back to Erica's. Erica and I live about 2 miles apart, up hill both ways! I loved today. I got to see the town, speak spanish and have complete faith in God getting us from point A to point B.

Oky calls me her "adopted daughter".  Although I am far away from home, God gives me comfort in a feeling of family while I am away from mine.

Pura Vida

2 comments:

  1. There's excitement in your writing!!
    Love mom
    PS say hello to Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun Que and Madison say hey oh and so does every boy and girl at the club who think I'm mrs. Lauren lol

    ReplyDelete